November 23, 2009

A Memorable Birthday

29 years ago today, I was born. Here are things I've gotten for my birthday this year: A giant basket, which I fully plan to put my baby in and photograph; a unicorn backpack, a jewelry box, a statue of three monkeys (hear no/see no/speak no evil - Sam picked it out at Goodwill and it's hilarious), and my kid's first day of school.



After he got on the bus, I watched it drive away and I cried. Hey, it's my birthday, I can cry if I want to. I didn't really expect to cry so much, and I can't even explain the reasoning of exactly what I was feeling. I'm not worried about Sam, I know he will LOVE school. There's just something viscerally heart-wrenching about sending your kid off to school for the first time.

Once I got over that (kind of), I realized I will now have 3.5 hours 3 days a week to do... whatever! Today I'm concentrating on laundry in between blogging and relaxing.

This will definitely be a memorable birthday for me. For my birthday, won't you leave a comment and tell me about one of your most memorable birthdays?

6 comments:

Heather said...

Warning! You will be surprised how the Universe will suck up that 3.5 hours of free time and you'll soon wonder where it went. I get twice as much time and I still don't know where it goes.

Happy Birthday!

Young Wife said...

Happy Birthday! One of my most memorable birthdays was when I was seven or eight and I prayed for it to snow on my birthday. We live in Dallas, so we don't see much snow. God granted my request. :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!! For my 50th birthday, my wife and my other best friend and HIS wife planned an outing for us to attend Irish Fest at the Lakefront in Milwaukee. I'll never, EVER forget that day - or the resulting hangover.

Kori said...

Oh, happy, happy birthday! A memorable birthday for me-actually one of the few that didn't totally scuk-was my friends giving me a crown that said "Bow, it's my birthday!: and taking me to the zoo, where we wandered all over and a bear becamse besotted with my friend Jason. to the point of running up and down the walls of the cage moaning whenever J. tried to leave. I was 17.

Melissa aka Equidae said...

happy birthday my dear :) memorable birthday? I guess that would be when i married :) it was the day before my marriage and it was wonderful!

Unknown said...

I totally relate to the whole crying thing. When I took my son to his first day of Kindergarden, I couldn't drive home for a good hour...I was such a hysterical mess. Thank God for the Tea and Tears table in the lobby!
I don't have any special memories on my actual birthDAY but I've had some pretty great things around my day. Like getting my first tattoo right before my 30th and surprising myself by not fainting (I hate needles...and pain).
I hope you had a wonderful day!