July 31, 2008

A Journey in Faith: Baptism, Washington Style

Oh happy day
When Jesus washed
He washed my sins away!
Oh happy day

He taught me how
He taught me how to watch
and fight and pray
yes, fight and pray

And he'll rejoice
rejoice in things we say

"Oh Happy Day"

I was the only person in our new members class who had not been baptized. In the Presbyterian church, you can only be baptized once, no matter how old or aware you were the first time around. When I decided to join the church and get baptized, I scheduled a day to be baptized during church service. After thinking about it though, I figured if I was going to do it, I might as well REALLY do it. Summer was coming up and my church offers immersion baptisms once or twice a year in Lake Washington.

My baptism was in true Washington style: September 16, 2007 rolled around to be an overcast, slightly chilly day. It was originally supposed to take place a little bit earlier in the summer, but had to be rescheduled and it was eventually decided that it would be easiest to wait until school started again so people wouldn't be on vacation. I was baptized by Mike Young, our church's Associate Pastor, and Megan Teeter, one of my church's youth leaders. Mike Teeter was there as well, and he and Megan switched back and forth so they could both participate. As you may be able to ascertain from this first photo, it was not warm:


We waded into the water. My friend Violet and her family were there, as were my husband and son and my Mother and my Mother-in-Law and her husband.


There were four of us getting baptized that day - I was the oldest. Listening to the words of Mark, Megan & Mike our legs got used to the chilly water.

Then it was my turn. Into the water I went, purple hair and all.

And was born anew.

I felt this day was the official beginning of my life in Christ. Not only washing away my sins, but washing away my doubts, letting go of the uncertainty I'd felt for all of those years. My life was changed.

To be continued next Thursday.

- Find the next post in the series here: 'My Life, New'
- Find links to all posts in the series here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found you from Auds place. This post is beautiful. I must take time to come back and visit when my time isn't so limited.