September 5, 2008

Haiku Friday: It All Begins

Haiku Friday

Really, John McCain?
A woman, yes. Did you think
that would win our votes?

I saw your photos
side by side and just felt weird
That is your VP?

Talk about having
no experience, only
local government.

Not to mention the
stress of having a brand new
baby, special needs.

How will you manage
to be available to
America then?

All right, it's time. It's finally time. Politics is really on my mind, and it will be for a while. For the last four years, I admit that I've been ignorant. I admit that I have chosen NOT to listen to the president speak, that I have changed the channel when he came onto the screen, that when he speaks it is almost painful to listen to his idiocy. But now, it's finally time for a change. Finally. I cried on election day last year - and I believe that I will cry again this year, but hopefully for very, very different reasons.

So, here it goes for the first political post of the year. Sarah Palin? What the hell? There are so many reasons that I feel like she was a terrible choice for VP. I don't understand how people who extensively criticized Obama for having so little experience could put someone in as VP who has zero international experience and limited national experience. Sure, she was Governer of Alaska, but she hasn't been in the Senate or House of Representatives. There's that.

A lot of me feels like she is a giant pawn, and that makes me angry and uncomfortable. I wish that people would be able to see that Palin is totally being used, and not fall for it. The republicans are making a move here, they're trying to steal all those hilary supporters, to say, look, now WE have a woman, come to us. It's repulsive. There are a limited number of reasons that she would have been chosen as their VP candidate, and frankly, this seems like the most likely one to me. It just shows me how much people consider politics a game. But to me, it's not a game. It's serious. It's our country, and it needs some major help and some major recovery.

As I think about VP nominee Palin though, do you know what my biggest problem with her is? She has a FOUR MONTH OLD baby. Please explain to me how someone who has a special needs infant is going to be able to concentrate on being the second in command of this country and still concentrate on her child the way I feel a parent in that situation should. I guess her husband would quit his job and take care of the baby, but with the responsibilities of being a couple in politics, will they really have time to take care of their child? I'm just not sure.

None of this, of course, is taking into consideration some dishonesty that may be afoot. First in many people's minds is the rumor that little Trig Palin is actually the child of Sarah's 17-year-old daughter Bristol. I realize that some people might call this a conspiracy theory. But I get the same feeling reading this website or this one as I did after watching loose change - I'm not saying I know WHAT I believe at this point, but there sure is some pretty freaking compelling evidence for this 'conspiracy'. Beyond any of that, she now has a 17 year old pregnant teenage daughter, which seems like a lot of stress to deal with while trying to run for VP.

Even if you don't care or think about the pregnancy rumors, you will surely hear about the fact that Palin is facing an investigation into whether she abused her power in firing Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. Or the fact that a month ago, she said this: "As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I'm used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we're trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question." You might notice that she is on the cover of this week's US Magazine. Can you imagine McCain or Biden on the cover of US Magazine?? With so many questions coming up so soon after the announcement, you have to wonder if the republican party was NOT trying to win a certain demographic by having a woman candidate, why would they have chosen Palin in the first place?

To read more Friday Haikus, click here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share some of your views. For whatever reasons, America tends to be a mix of about half on one side and half on the other, and it boggles my mind. A lot. Sadly, I think McCain made a brilliant choice in terms of someone able to get votes - she is cute, charismatic and very much playing up the everyday mom thing. I still don't think they are right for the job, but I think he did earn himself some votes by choosing Palin. My head kind of spun, too, at a special needs infant and wondering who will raise the baby and if the dad would be available to take on that role. My mind is having trouble wrapping around it all.

Long winded comment, sorry. ;)

Storytellin' Mama said...

Tough subject!! Good for you for speaking your views... I am still trying to hash it all out and I hope Obama is sincere, sometimes I wish I could be a fly on the wall in these peoples real lives and get a sense of them that way behind all the razzle dazzle media craze!!

Anonymous said...

Giant pawn---YES!! Totally agree. And giant distraction. Politically, she just pushes that ticket farther right, which alienates me. Blech.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I found your blog through your Twitter page, since you started following me on there.

I totally agree with your post! I don't understand why somebody with a four month old baby (let alone one with Down Syndrome) would even accept a position like that. And I think she is definitely being used as a pawn, which, as a woman, sickens me. What bothers me the most, though, is that they're trying to get women's votes by saying, "Look, here's a woman you can vote for!" but Palin and Clinton couldn't be more different. I've been an Obama supporter from the beginning, but suggesting that I should vote for McCain-Palin just because I'm a woman ... well, I find that insulting.

Anyway, sorry for the mini-rant. :-P