September 25, 2008

The thing about job searching

So, after two days, I've gotten over the initial shock of being laid off. I've also started to realize that if Sam has to go into day care it's not the end of the world. I have been EXTREMELY lucky that I've been able to be a full time Mom for him over the past 2.5 years. A lot of mothers don't get that luxury, and I got it during the most important time in his life to do it - when he was young. I love spending time with him, but maybe now our financial situation is just not going to allow it, and if that's the case, I have to be able to make peace with it.

I started job searching the same night I found out that my position is being eliminated. I hate the process. Searching through loads of jobs, applying for things that you are overqualified for just because the better ones might not work out. I hate the filling out the SAME information over and over on job applications. And, I hate the disappointment.

The problem is, sometimes you find it. You read the description and it seems like the PERFECT job. This morning, I found a posting at a local nonprofit for an HR Assistant. I'm qualified for it. It would give me the chance to study for and receive my PHR certification. It's full time, but the job duties are just right, and I would get to stay in the nonprofit sector and work for something I believe in. I submitted my application materials 10 minutes ago, and now the waiting begins. If you get the job, it's amazing. If not, it's complete disappointment, sometimes over and over again as the jobs keep popping up.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I've found a couple of others, including one part time HR/Payroll job that would also work really well for us. Hopefully something will pan out.

3 comments:

Kori said...

I love your willingness to get right out there and start looking again, and also knowing that you may have to accept putting your Sam in daycare; just SUCH a great attitude to have, even though it is really a scary/sad situation. I will send up good thoughts for you!

Unknown said...

Oo, oo, oo, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

hi -- new here, but just wanted to say "good luck!" with the job hunt.