September 9, 2008

Mother nature just pissed her pantsuit

I didn't get around to posting about the newest movies I've seen yesterday, so I'm putting it up on Tuesday this week!  I thought I'd have time to write the post I was planning for Tuesday, but it turned out that my doctor appointment today went pretty long so I didn't get my computer time in the afternoon, and now I'm practically falling over because I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm drowsy because I fell asleep on the couch, which always sort of makes me sleepty for the rest of the night.  So, here are the movie reviews for this week!

No spoilerage this week, so read on!

Tropic Thunder:  LOVED it.  Seriously.  It was so over the top and funny.  In case you were wondering if I've gone insane, the title of this post is one of my favorite lines from this movie, delivered excelently by Danny McBride, who I also quite enjoyed in Pineapple Express.  I thought Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious in it, and he had a great dynamic going with Brandon Jackson.  I can't really tell you exactly why I liked it without just going through the whole plot of the movie.  Also, I'm so tired that I can't really think intelligently about the movie, and I think it deserves more than that.  In the past year, I've come to really like Robert Downey Jr.  I think this was a really interesting and smart movie.  Yes, it was 'offensive', but it was offensive to just about EVERYONE.  I am generally a fan of Jack Black and Ben Stiller, but it can go either way with Tom Cruise and I generally don't like Matthew McConaughey.  Tom Cruise was hilarious as the studio head of the movie studio making the film, although it's possible the sight of him in his weird fat suit and bald cap dancing is now burned into my retinas.  And McConaughey was hilarious as Stiller's agent, simpleminded and conflicted.  If you're a filmgoer like me, and like to see movies not only for the entertainment value, but also for their place in the industry, and to see something new or different when it comes along, this is a must-see.  

The House Bunny:  So, when I started seeing previews for this movie, I did NOT want to laugh.  There is no way I was going to see this movie and I didn't want to laugh at the previews.  Never-the-less, I did laugh.  And I decided to go see the movie.  And it didn't suck.  Of course, we're not talking about Pineapple Express level here, and certainly not talking about anything as smart as Tropic Thunder, but it was an amusing piece of fluff for sure.  

Hamlet 2:  I was disappointed.  After I saw the previews for this movie, I thought it was going to be HILARIOUS.  It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't as funny as I expected it to be after watching the trailers.  My favorite thing in this movie was quite possibly the song "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus" and the reasoning behind it.  It's worth watching at some point, but I definitely wouldn't have spent the$ 9.50 to see it in the movie theater - maybe one for matinee or DVD.

Babylon AD: Okay, before we even talk about the movie or the plot, we need to consider three of the greatest upsides to this movie.

One: Watching Melanie Thierry for 2 hours:


Two: Watching Vin Diesel for 2 hours... nom...


Three: Vin & Melanie together.


Okay, now that THAT is out of the way...  I liked this movie.  One of the people I went with seemed to like it okay, the other didn't.  Like I said before, I always like to see something that's a little bit original, a little bit different, and this fit the bill.  I am thinking about trying to find the book it's based on ('Babylon Babies') and reading it, because it did seem like there were a few holes in the movie, and I wonder how the book flowed, and what they changed.  I am always interested in futureworlds and alternate realities, so there were parts of this that were really interesting in that way too.  I also love Michelle Yeoh, so when I saw previews I was excited to see her in this.  Despite the holes, and other parts that may not have been perfect, I think this is one for the movie theater.  There are certain movies that just look good on the big screen.  Of cousre, if you have a giant HDTV, then that's a different story, but for the average viewer, big screen is probably the way to go if you think you're interested in this one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melanie Theirry *is* gorgeous isn't she? And Vin Diesel...well I'd watch a silent film if it had him in it. *lol* It's sad that the film has gotten such horrid reviews.

I was interested in the fact that you thought TT was so funny. I have been wanting to see it just so I could see Tom Cruise try and pull some comedy out of his bum. Definitely gonna check it out when it hits the DVD racks!