September 22, 2008

I'm your MOTHER, not your...

Today's writing prompt from Absolutely Bananas has us looking at what we are NOT. Well, actually, it's probably more like looking at what we ARE, and how we can't convince our kids otherwise, no matter how hard we try. My little guy is only 28 months old, so it's too early for me to finish this sentence with words like 'maid' or 'chauffer', although I have no doubt that those days will come, and faster than I can even imagine. No, my answer is much simpler.

Sam, I'm your mother, not your JUNGLE GYM! Okay, okay, I know that this is partly my fault. I let him climb on me, I flip him, I throw him around and let him walk on me and run and jump onto me. But enough is enough! Sometimes, like when I have a tetanus booster shot and my arm feels like someone hit me with a cannon ball and left a bruise the size of an elephant's ear, I need some relief from this jungle gym gig.

Oh well, I should probably enjoy it now while I can - one day my hugs will be met with a sullen 'Mo-ooom, you're embarrassing me', so I'll take what I can get while I can get it.

For more answers, check out the other writing prompt participants at Absolutely Bananas!

7 comments:

Honey Mommy said...

That is to true! At our house I am often heard saying, "Get off me!" because I am tired of being a jungle gym.

Kat said...

My son loves to knock me down over and over and over again. He'll be a great linebacker one day!

Jenny Henny said...

Both my daughter's do this! They will make great linebackers someday, too :)

Heather said...

Oh, good one! My 2 year old loves to do that too. You're right though, we'll miss it when it is over.

Anonymous said...

I lived to rue the day, when the twins were little, letting them use me as a jungle gym! Oh, the bruises!

You are right, all too soon there will be plaintive cries of mo'ooooooom.....It just goes by so fast.

Unknown said...

Good one! I said this many times when my kiddos were smaller...and I do have to say it every now and again. Which really hurts because my kids are soo tall and skinny, their elbows always find tender spots...

You have a great blog! After reading your great JJ Abrams haiku (I love his shows too!) I will be adding you to my blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Yes!! You're absolutely right. My 3 YO daughter loves to climb up my legs while I hold her hands so she can flipover. But if I'm sitting on the couch or the floor, she's climbing all over me!

Good post!