September 29, 2008

How Embarrassing!

So, the writing prompt from Absolutely Bananas this week has to do with exposing our embarrassing moments. When I first saw it, I thought it would be easy, but I've found a hard time coming up with what to write about. We've all been embarrassed, but I am sitting here trying to come up with one specific instance of embarrassment that was worse than any others...

I could write about the time I walked into a bus stop sign, but I don't think anyone really saw me, so that hurt physically more than embarrassed me. I could write about the time that I split my pants at work when bending over to pick up a box, but I actually found that incredibly funny, and since I had a shirt with me to wrap around my waist it wasn't too bad. I could write about the time in my younger days when DH and I had smoked a little pot and I fell asleep just as we started to... well, you know. But I'm not really embarrassed about that either. I was pretty embarrassed during my pregnancy when I'd be in meetings at work and actually FORGET the word for what I wanted to say. But that's just hormones really.

This shouldn't be so hard! Maybe it's that the times I've been TRULY embarrassed what I remember is being sad or having my feelings hurt if it was someone else who embarrassed me. But really, I know I make a fool of myself on a regular basis. What the heck, am I just used to it or something? I say things that I wish I could take back later sometimes. But I try not to let it stick with me. My son's not old enough to embarrass me (yet). Sigh... well, I'm kind of embarrassed that I can't come up with a better post for this prompt! To make myself feel better, I'm going to go read other people's embarrassing moments courtesy of Absolutely Bananas!

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Kori said...

I often think when asked to write about embarrasssing things that there is a huge difference between embarrassment and humilation; embarrassment, meh, I am a dork, I KNOW I am, so I embarrass myself so often that it isn't worht writing about. Humilation scars, and is TOO personal to write about.

Super Mommie said...

I have fallen asleep in the beginning of "you know". I hadn't been smoking anything. I was just really tired!!

Jenny Henny said...

I agree with Kori - there is a big difference between humiliation and embarrassment. Humiliation is way too hard to write about. Embarrassment on the other hand, kind of fun