June 30, 2008

Movie Monday: Get Smart, Kung Fu Panda & Hulk

*This post contains spoilers for Get Smart, Kung Fu Panda, and The Incredible Hulk*
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Get Smart: Went to see Get Smart, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was just really funny. I realized afterwards that one of the reasons that I liked it was because the comedies I see are often romantic comedies, or dramatic comedies that have really, really sad parts in the middle somewhere. Sometimes they're not even that sad, but in comparison to the laughs in the rest of the movie, they're sad. But I didn't have to deal with that in this movie. The whole movie was just funny, it made me laugh and iddn't make me cry and I LIKED that. I am a big fan of Steve Carrell, so he was the draw for me mostly, and I was happy to see a cameo by Patrick Warburton towards the end. Also, Masi Oka (Hiro from Heroes) was in it, which I definitely enjoyed.

Kung Fu Panda: What a cute movie. I really liked the animation style, the animals and their fur, especially Tigress. Although I was left days afterwards trying to figure out what the heck animal Master Shifu was supposed to be. An old red panda? Some kind of raccoon? According to Wikipedia, he is a Red Panda. Ahhh... my favorite animal! How could I not like him? I laughed out loud several times, and was surprised at how many people were there a couple weeks after opening at a 9:30 weekday show. I really like Jack Black. I think he makes really fun movies and is a goofball and he is a draw for me to any movie. I would recommend this, although if you've got kids there are some scary parts. My friend's 4 year old did fine, but he did say that some parts were a little bit scary when the bad leopard was coming after Po, the panda.

The Incredible Hulk: My latest comic book movie fix. Have I ever mentioned that I love comic book movies? No? Well, I do! I liked this movie. I thought that Ed Norton did a good job. I liked that he was the Hulk but as a man, he wasn't huge. I thought Tim Roth was icky and scary as the Abomination, and I liked how in their hulked-out forms, Abomination was ugly and Hulk was still somewhat human looking and fairly good looking (you know, for a big muscular green anger monster). Good graphic representation. I also really enjoyed Liv Tyler in this. I think she brings something to movies, I like her because she's so much more normal seeming than a lot of Hollywood actors - she's pretty, but not in a model gorgeous type of way, and her body is real. I LOVED the Tony Stark cameo at the end, and it made me excited for future movies! I felt like this was a lot more memorable than the Eric Bana Hulk - I can't even remember who played the female lead in that. I loved the connection that Betty made with Hulk, it was real and a little bit beautiful. I definitely recommend this one if you're a comic book movie fan. Besides, what else do you have to occupy you until Dark Knight?

Movies I'm looking forward to seeing in the next couple weeks: Wanted (I am droooooling), Wall-E, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Hancock, Hellboy 2

Bonus: Cutest Kitteh Evar!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hubby and I went to see Hulk this weekend! I was really hesitant to go see it after the first joke of a movie. I'm so glad they totally disregarded that movie and tried again with this. I've never been a 'LOVE her' fan of Liv...but I don't hate her, either :D But you're right...the connection she made with the Hulk was great.

My husband was also very, VERY happy to see Hulk say "HULK SMASH!!" in this movie!! Ever since the first one came out he ALWAYS says it *lol*