May 31, 2012

Friday Fragments

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****


We finally went and saw Dark Shadows on Wednesday night, and honestly?  I didn't love it.  It was okay, but I wanted it to be AWESOME.  I felt like it was kind of disjointed and I didn't really connect with any of the characters.  I also thought there were things just thrown in that didn't make sense/didn't need to be there (like the thing w/the teenage daughter near the end).  Maybe it's because I never watched the show and they were nods to that, I don't know.  At least I've heard of the show, which seems not to be the case for 90% of people I know.

*****


I recently discovered this charming blog called Finding Magnolia.  It's written by a woman who made her family complete with a beautiful little girl named Magnolia Zinash from Ethiopia, and they will be leaving in three weeks to get their second daughter, Elvie.  How beautiful.


*****

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday morning and was paging through People magazine and there was an article about Jillian Michaels and her family in there.  I did not know that she was a lesbian, and the article was about her and her partner, who adopted a little girl from Haiti around the same time the partner gave birth to a little boy.  It struck me while I was reading how wonderful and amazing the article was.  Why?  Because I get to live in a time where mainstream popular celebrities can show off their gay life partner and multi-racial children and it doesn't seem out of place at all.  It's celebrated.  I can't wait to see how the world is when my kids are having their families.


*****


I seriously LOVE this blog post by Swistle where she uses hot sauce as an analogy for swearing.  GENIUS!


*****


If you have little boys, or had them at some point, you need to read this post 20 Things Nobody Told Me About Little Boys by Amalah.  It is hilarious!  She already had me reeled in with the first one: "You will spend a crazy amount of time clipping their weed-like fingernails, even though your own nails don't grow worth a damn."


*****


This makes me love Will Smith:

"We let Willow cut her hair. When you have a little girl, it’s like how can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world. She can’t cut my hair but that’s her hair. She has got to have command of her body. So when she goes out into the world, she’s going out with a command that it is hers. She is used to making those decisions herself. We try to keep giving them those decisions until they can hold the full weight of their lives."


*****


9 comments:

Mary said...

That Will Smith is a wise man, for sure!  
Visiting from Mrs. 4444!

Profwaynewsmith said...

A very interesting Will Smith quote indeed.  

Diane@BeStillAMinute said...

I did not know anything about Jillian Michaels' personal life so I just learned something new. 

And I'm gonna have to read that post about boys.  Mine are turning 13 and 9 next month and I can't imagine there's anything I haven't seen yet!  

Happy Friday! :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

I saw that about Jillian and loved it, too.  I have felt heavily weighed down by all of the hate that has been bubbling to the surface- especially from and in churches.  So stories like that warm my soul.

Happy FF!

Rachael1013 said...

Yes, I get bogged down sometimes by all the negativity people feel the need to spew at each other. I just don't understand why people choose to live in a place of negativity and hate. So sad.

Shannon Rogers said...

Dark Shadows looks like one of those movies where the trailer might be funnier than the actual movie.

NutHouseShannon said...

Oops... forgot to use the correct login!

Rachael1013 said...

Yeah, I felt like I had already seen a lot of the stuff from watching previews, and there wasn't that much more added.

findingmagnolia said...

Thanks so much for the link! I love writing about our family, and I'm so glad you are reading and spreading the love.