February 25, 2011

Friday Fragments: At Home and Around the Web

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.


This week, I want to share some cool things I've found around the web in the last couple of weeks along with a few thoughts that are floating around in my head.

Check out this photo at Dooce. I can't stop staring at it, it's so beautiful.

*****

How cool is this video?



Very cool!

*****

I know some of you are watching Top Chef with me. How did you like this week's episode? Here are my thoughts...

The look on Richard's face when they brought out the fryers? It could have withered plants. But then he made FRIED MAYONNAISE. I am not even kidding. Wow.

Antonia fried some avocado. I think I want to eat that. I felt so bad she made the mistake of only one plate, because she would have won.

Tiffany must share that she is from Beaumont, TX of course. Is there really anyone who doesn't know that by now?

Why did Mike COPY something from Richard's notebook? So bizarre. Douche alert. Then he WON with it. He says in cutaway "Richard, it's not your dish, it's my dish, because I won the 5 G's." Douche.

Fabio told Richard they get along so well and that Richard reminds him of his ex-wife. Hilarious.

When Carla finds out that Mike copied Richard's dish, she says it goes against "chef law." She says there is man law, and there is chef law. And on 30 Rock, there is "sky law." I'd like to hear about all of the different weird "laws" out there. Know of any?

I was glad Richard won, he's definitely one of my favorites. Then the bottom three - I was NOT happy to see Carla there. Then Tiffany said she didn't actually cook any of the shrimp. WTH? Wasn't that the main part of the dish? I don't know, it just seems like a strange thing to delegate on when it's the main ingredient, and the point of the challenge.

I was really worried for a minute that my dreams of a Richard-Carla-Antonia finale were going to be dashed, but in the end it was Dale.

BTW, if you're a Top Chef fan, you should really be reading Amalah's hilarious recaps over at Mama Pop. She often has some of the same thoughts I do. Also, the recaps at TV Line are good too!

*****

There have been some interesting things going on in politics, and I'd love to say I plan to write about all of them. BUT, with a fussy baby and a 4 year old, it might not happen. So, for now, here are some posts I really enjoyed this week.

Jules at Mean Girl Garage wrote about how right now, she doesn't feel like the government is speaking for her. Her post has some great links.

Katie, one of the ladies from Curvy Girl Guide, wrote about the shitty amendment removing federal funding for Planned Parenthood.

Christina at A Mommy Story wrote about Michele Obama's Let's Move campaign to help kids get/stay fit.

Vodka Mom and Mrs. 4444 (once here and once here) both wrote great posts about the situation in Wisconsin from the point of view of teachers.

*****

Yeah, so... this happened.



Gah! We are in so much trouble right now. He had his 9 month doctor appointment on Monday and he is up 2% to the 7th percentile for weight, and shot up in height - he grew more than 2 inches in the last three months! He's tall and skinny just like his brother. The doctor agreed that we could try giving him some soy formula to see if he could tolerate it by now, so Tuesday-Friday we tried giving him 25-50% soy in his bottles with the Alimentum. It seemed to be going okay at first, but last night he was so uncomfortable and fussy, and that's the only thing we've changed. So, well have to scale it back and go a little slower. It sure would be nice to get him off the $27 cans of formula that only last a few days.

*****

Also, it snowed here this week. With the wind chill, it's been SO cold taking Sam down to the bus this week. At some point, it would be nice to put a little shelter at the bottom of the driveway for him to stand in while he waits for the bus. We also got our notice for parent teacher conferences, ours is March 11. I can't wait to talk to his teachers again and find out about the progress he's made.

*****

I got my 50mm 2.5/f macro lens this week! Yay! I have not had a chance to take many photos with it yet, but am looking forward to taking it outside with me once it's not so frigidly cold. I'll have a few photos up here on Sunday for Weekly Winners too.

*****

This weekend is pretty empty, though I am definitely planning on watching the Oscars on Sunday! I am participating in an Oscar pool for the first time this year, and it will be fun to cheer for the ones I chose! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment:

lisleman said...

like the paint video - so you going to do a paint session with Sam like that?