August 15, 2010

Inception: Why I Love Christopher Nolan

Justin and I finally got a chance to go and see Inception last weekend. I have been wanting to see it since it came out, and had thought about going on my own a couple of times, but a friend told me I should see it with someone so I'd be able to talk about it afterward.

Going into it, all I really knew was that it had something to do with dreams and somehow stealing something from people through their dreams. I knew it starred Leonardo DiCaprio, but was happy when I saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy. It was directed by Christopher Nolan, who also made Memento, The Prestige and The Dark Knight.

Bottom line, I loved it. I'm not going to say too much because I don't want to spoil it, although I will warn that there may be spoilers in the comments section.

Here's the thing. At this point, so many movies have already been made. So, I'm pretty impressed when I see a movie like this that is so original and different. I watch a LOT of TV and movies, so it's not unusual for me and my husband to figure things out before they're revealed. When I see a movie in which I can't do that? It makes me happy. Memento and The Prestige were both new and original, and Nolan's proven that he has some great ideas. It makes me excited to see what he comes up with next.

One of the great things about this thing that Nolan created is that since much of the movie takes place in dream worlds, it doesn't matter if things don't make sense at times because they don't HAVE to make sense. It also allows for a few pretty cool sequences including a no-gravity fight scene.

The funny thing is that when it ended I sort of thought "of course." But at the same time, I had not considered that ending at all while watching the entire movie. I have also come to really enjoy Leonardo DiCaprio's acting. I sort of went back and forth for a while, but the year that he did The Departed and Blood Diamond, I was definitely won over. He was very good in this. In one scene in particular, there was just a moment. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about, a moment where he was able to emote such raw emotion that in only a few words you could feel his pain and heartbreak.

I have a short list of actors, actresses and directors whose names on the Marquee will pretty much guarantee I'm watching it: Kate Winslet, James McAvoy, John Cusack, Alan Rickman Kevin Smith, and M. Night Shyamalan (yes I'm still sticking with him). With this third hit, Christopher Nolan has definitely earned his place on my list.

Did you see Inception? What did you think?

7 comments:

Papier_et_encre said...

Great review. I loved Inception. Just brilliant. Movies were starting to get a bit same ol' in my mind lately and this was just what I needed to jolt me out of it.

Visiting from 31DBBB by the way...you're ahead of me in the Blog Frog forum. :)

Shannon said...

Another thing we have in common... a love for Christopher Nolan!

Have not seen Inception... yet. But I will... 'cause my love for Chris Nolan runs deep, man. I have loved every single movie of his I've seen! The man is brilliant!

Kat said...

I LOVED Inception. Original and brilliant. And movies like that don't get made. And the ending -- just perfection.

Dawn M said...

I am with you...saw it, loved it, and even loved the ending! And like you, I usually am good at guessing what is going on and what will happen....this time I guessed all wrong, lol. Love seeing movies that I can't figure out!

Ramblings of a Woman said...

I saw it the first weekend it came out. We love anything to do with time and science. I loved it and I was surprised by the ending, but I saw a review that said, maybe, just maybe, the spinner stopped just as the camera cut away...

Rachael1013 said...

I thought of that, but I don't think so. The kids were the same age and
wearing the same outfits they'd been wearing in his memory of the last time
he saw them, so that kind of clinched it for me.

Rachael1013 said...

Isn't it nice when a movie comes along that is really unique? I never get
tired of going to the movies, but it's nice to actually get excited about
seeing something again!