April 10, 2008

Spring has Sprung

Well, sort of. It hasn't snowed in the last 10 days, so that's something! For anyone who's interested, I have been posting a lot on my other blog - "My Secret Identity" - a lot. I have been feeling the need for an outlet lately - trying to balance being a Mom with still having my own identity and being able to spend a little bit of time getting back into writing. Maybe it's because we moved back to Bellingham, and I am remembering things I used to do and really enjoyed when I lived here, but let slide in the last several years with busyness, playdates, and before that with work.

On Tuesday Brooke called me as I was on my way home from my "office hours" at a cafe downtown. She asked what I was doing, I said that I had just had a playdate that morning with the Moms playdate group I joined up here and then Mom came over to watch Sam so I could work. She said 'You've only been up there for four weeks and you already have this whole routine'. For some reason, it's stuck with me. I really do feel like I've been able to slide right back into this comfortable life here. Despite all the stresses happening in my life right now, I feel more peaceful than I have in a long time, and it really reinforces in my mind that moving back here was the right thing.

On the Sam front, things are well! Justin has been putting him to bed every night for several weeks, he seemed to have a touch I didn't and could get Sam to lie down with his head on the pillow and let him leave the room without crying even if he didn't go to sleep right away. Tonight Justin was lying down and I decided to try and put Sam to bed myself since I was getting a little worried about Justin being gone next week and bedtime. I talked to him for a few minutes, we looked at a book, and then he laid down and put the blanket on himself! It was great.

Sam is definitely turning into a little boy and not a baby anymore. The other day I looked at him and he just looked so OLD - I can't believe he's going to be 2 in less than a month. How do I suddenly have a two year old?? He's adorable when he's happy. There is definitely a level of frustration now with the fact that he wants things and has opinions, but he can't talk and tell us what he wants. He points at things, but he still isn't using words. Usually about once a day something comes out of his mouth and it sounds like a word - the other day I swear he said 'hole' referring to one of those toys that has different shaped holes and things to put inside them. But then it passes and I'm never sure if he really said it or not. I think he probably did, and I think that he's right on the verge of really starting to talk - so exciting! Other things we've heard have been cheese, yogurt, and Diego among others.

Sam is also starting to get more interested in books. He's finally to the age where he'll bring me a book and want to sit or stand with me and actually let me read the book to him. It's so great to sit there with him and actually read the words and watch him point at things and look at the pictures. Wonderful. He really impressed me yesterday - we were reading a 'Dora the Explorer' book and at the end, he was able to identify Dora and Boots, but also Benny the Bull, Isa the Iguana, and Tico the Squirrel by pointing at them! He repeated it later for Justin to see as well.

One of the things I've been enjoying about being back in Bellingham is the time that Sam's been spending with Kira and my Mom. Kira comes over from 8:30-5 on Mondays to watch Sam while Justin and I are at work, and Mom comes over to watch Sam on Tuesday and Thursday from 3-5 as well as at other random times and visits during the weekend. He loves them so much and they love him too. He's such a lucky little kid, it brings tears to my eyes to think about all the love that surrounds him.

He's getting older and more able to deal with some things too, last week we went to a new church in Bellingham to try it out and he went right into the nursery and starting playing with toys without fussing or whining at all. We went to the Children's Museum today and he played with the other kids and I didn't have to keep my eye on him every second.

Okay... I'll stop gushing about how great my kid is for a bit. We are VERY excited because Helene and Lianna are coming to Washington and will be here for Sam's birthday party! We can't wait to see them.

No comments: