January 14, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

*Spoilers* When I first saw previews for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it or not. I hadn't read the book, and the movie just looked really sad. Then my Mom saw it and said it was the best movie that she'd seen in years. And my husband said he wanted to see it. So we did.

And, it was incredible. It's long, at almost three hours, but so worth it.

One of the things that I found really funny was that I am not commonly a Brad Pit fan. But after watching him in "old man" mode for the whole beginning of the movie, when he finally got to be 'regular' Brad Pitt I couldn't help noticing how young and attractive he was. It made me giggle.

This is a great story. I wish I could say more about WHY I liked it, but it's such a fantastical story, I don't WANT to dissect it. I thought it was great, and I think you should see it because of that. I don't want to talk about the cinematography or the directing. I just want to remember it as an amazing movie that I really enjoyed.

I am also a HUGE Cate Blanchett fan. She is hands down one of my five favorite actresses, and gorgeous to boot. She is just incredibly versatile and I loved her in this movie. She was gorgeous and she manages to morph perfectly to fit the time period of whatever piece she's performing in.

There was ONE plot point I didn't understand/like. At one point as Benjamin is aging backwards, he leaves his family. Later, about 10 years later maybe, he shows up again. First off, it didn't make sense why he left to me. He was still a fully functioning adult who could have been helping raise his daughter and spending time with her. I find the idea of leaving your child to spare them an emotional attachment to their real parent who loves them slightly repugnant. Secondly, if he WAS going to leave, why the hell did he go back? No good could have come of it, only pain.

So, now that that's out of the way... you should go see this. It's unusual. It's a great story. It's got some great actors. The ending is heartbreaking and wonderful. It makes you think about things that you never would have considered. And I think that it's going to win some awards.

No comments: