July 29, 2011

Friday Fragments - Finally Summer!

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

I FINALLY got around to uploading a ton of photos to Flickr today, so I'll put a few of my recent favorites in this post.

Finally captured his freckles that I love so much.

IMG_2837

*****

So, there are a couple of places here in Bellingham where there are mid-sized pro-life/anti-abortion billboards. One of them in particular really bothers me. It's a quote from one of the Popes about how a country that kills it's children has no future. On the right side of the sign, it has a realistic looking photo of a fetus lying on top of a sort of nested American flag. First of all, gag me with your 'patriotic' imagery. Secondly? WHO decided that it's okay to put a photo of a DEAD FETUS on a poster in public? In this case, I'm not sure it's a real fetus, if it is it is developed enough that it would be too old to be aborted in most places. But, that's not really my point. My point is that you would never put a photo of a dead 6 month old corpse on a poster for SIDS. You would not put a photo of a 6 year old dead little kid on a billboard against drunk driving. There's basically nowhere else you would just be brutally confronted with a photo of a DEAD BODY where you could not avoid seeing it. So, why is this okay? I get it if people are against abortion. I disagree, but everyone is entitled to their own views. I just find it offensive that this is how some people choose to get their message out...

*****

Bowing in the rain.

IMG_2676

*****

Yeah... so now that I blurted all that out, let's talk about HARRY POTTER! A week ago, Justin and I FINALLY got to the theater - I don't know how I managed to wait a whole week! We even drove down and saw it in IMAX 3-D. The IMAX was TOTALLY worth it! It was so good. Minor spoilers follow...

There was only one slight thing I would have added, but other than that it was amazing. In the scene where Harry is in the woods and his family appear to him, I always pictured him walking towards Voldemort with them behind him like his own private little army. It didn't appear that way in the movie. But, like I said, totally minor. That part always makes me cry. I did weep a bit in the movie, pretty much from the time they started going into Snape's story until Harry found Voldemort. I LOVE Snape, and throughout all seven books I was always rooting for him. The fact that he's played by Alan Rickman, who I totally LOVE also is just perfect. That whole story was just done so well. And I'm SO glad they kept in the bit at the end with them grown up, awesome. I totally want to see it 100 more times.

*****

Close to flying.

IMG_3520

*****

Justin bought me a Nook color a few months ago, and I really love it. I have been reading so much more this year, I'm more on track to reach my 50 books a year goal than I have been since the first year I did it. Right now I'm in the middle of a couple of books - "Bossypants" by Tina Fey, which is my book club book for August, "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, about an Olympic runner turned WW2 pilot lost at sea, and "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan" by Sophie Kinsella for some fluff. What are you reading this summer?

*****

Daddy love.

IMG_3515

*****

Danny and Sam are both getting SO big. I am working on 'birthday' letters... I'm so behind. I try to write Sam a letter on his birthday every year, and I just never got around to it this year. Hopefully I'll have them done in the next week. I'm very excited about this fall - one of the days that Sam's at Kindergarten, my mom is going to watch Danny so I can have a day to myself again. I used to have Sam go to a babysitter one day a week, but since Danny arrived, I haven't had that, and I can't wait to have more time to write again.

*****

It's blurry, but I LOVE this photo my sister took of me, my boys, and my Grandmom. She is in her 80s and lives in assisted living now, she has Alzheimer's and when we're there, she doesn't necessarily know who I am or who the kids are, but she really enjoys having them around. I don't get to see her as much as I'd like, because she's in Pennsylvania, but every time I get over there, I make sure to go see her.

IMG_3441

*****

When 'Community' came on TV two years ago, I watched the first couple of episodes then for some reason stopped. Last week my Mom said they'd been watching it and enjoying it, so we got the first 2 season. We went through the first season over the weekend while Sam was gone. It's so good. I can't believe I haven't been watching it! I can't wait to make our way through Season 2!

*****

I took this picture of myself in May, and came across it while uploading stuff. There's something about it that I like... it's really just real, and it's from a perspective of me that I don't usually see.

IMG_2832

*****

I guess that's it for this week, but I'm glad to be fragmenting again! I'm off to link up and check everyone's posts out. Hope you all have a great weekend, it's finally starting to seem like summer here in WA (knock on wood...), so we should have a good weekend!

11 comments:

Zemeks said...

We read a lot but prefer books.  We love going to the library every Saturday and getting a new stack, then posting our book reviews on our book blog.  "Unbroken" was one my husband read and liked very much!

Kori said...

I find it both interesting and disturbing that our nation thinks it is totally acceptable to send our children to fight wars knowing they are going to be killed, all in the name of said patriotism but can't stomach the idea of abortion-CRAZINESS. Sorry-had to throw that in there. :)

Ann in the UP said...

I could not agree more with your opinion of the imagery on the anti-abortion billboard.  How is that not offensive to everyone?

Plus I love your picture of the freckles!  I love to see kids with freckles!!

Kay Duncan said...

yea, that may be offensive, but so is a pic of 2 men kissing to many people.... but those get put up too.  i guess we all have to learn to look the other way now.  

your eyes are a great blue!!

i am so glad you get to see your grandmother!  it's been a year since i have seen the only living grandparent i have surviving.  

Kay Duncan said...

it's a volunteer army, one i personally volunteered for.  that is different than abortion, where there is no option given to the fetus.  apples and oranges, imho.

Rachael1013 said...

Kay, I do agree that there's a difference between army service and abortion. I do agree with Kori in that the "wars" our country has been involved in recently definitely invite scrutiny. I fully support the troops, but the reasons for the deaths our country has experienced in that area these past 10 years don't really do it for me.

I have to disagree with the comparison of an image of a dead baby vs. an image of gay people kissing. I totally understand that there are people who disagree with abortion, and people who disagree with gay relationships (though I don't get that AT ALL, but that's a whole other issue). HOWEVER, my point is that I find an image of a dead body in my face offensive. I feel like a more accurate comparison if you want to go the gay route would be a billboard with two corpses posed as if they're kissing. Whether or not you think being gay is wrong, I would think that an image of dead bodies would be disturbing. It's also on the side of the road, so looking the other way isn't really an option - it's in your face.

Thank you for the compliment on my eyes - I get them from my Mom and my sons have them too!

Molly said...

I'm with you on the abortion thing. Stop trying to legislate my uterus. Stop trying to legislate who my friends and family can marry. I still don't understand how my cousin marrying her girlfriend is going to "ruin society".

tracismixedbag said...

Just so you know, I used to live in Lynnwood. I miss the PNW sometimes, gloominess doesn't bug me nor does the rain, but after a while I start missing San Diego so much. So here I am in SD. No matter where I've lived. I'm happy I found your blog.

I don't think graphic billboards are necessary. That type of extremism really bugs me.

Still haven't seen any of the HP movies because I want to read the books first. I'm behind.

Aww, I'm sorry your Grandma has Alzheimer's. My mom used to own an adult care home for those patients in Shoreline, so I've seen how hard of a situation it can be. It looks like you have a good attitude about it and although it may be hard you enjoy just being with her. It's nice to hear she enjoys being with you and your boys. She has the sweetest smile.

I love the freckles, your son's and yours. I have some too but they are hard to see.

Community is awesome!

Happy Friday.

Doreenb8 said...

I am with you on the sad; creepy billboard.  Extremest of any kind are just so narcassistic!   They will hurt or even kill to prove a point...crazy!!
I work in a lot of assisted living facilities in Pa...
Yor guys are just so adorable.  I hope you get to write again real soon...I just got my book cover and trailer...I could just scream:)

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

Bossypants is our book club book this month too... I haven't started it yet... waiting to see if I'll like it... I don't have cable so I don't keep up on Tina Fey... 
Love your pics!
Happy FF!

Mrs4444 said...

All of your photos here are beautiful. I really love them all. And sheesh---Has it been THAT long since I've visited? It's GORGEOUS in here!

I read two books this summer. I only remember the one I liked a lot--Raising Cee Cee Honeycutt. Loved it.