March 17, 2011

13 Things Strep Throat Taught Me This Week

It all started on Sunday morning when I woke up with a vaguely sore throat. While I was out that day, I felt out of it - my head wasn't right and I sort of felt like the world was just happening around me. By the time I got home from my book club in Seattle around 9 that night, full on chills had set in. It's been a miserable week.

13 Things Strep Throat Taught Me This Week

1. It is possible to go from being freezing and shivering under 2 blankets with slippers and a fleece shirt to sweating as if you'd just run a marathon in under 20 minutes. Without moving.

2. Every day you can wake up and think you feel better, to be reminded only 10 minutes after being upright that you still feel crappy.

3. It is hard for 2 kids to deal with a Mom who is sick and a Dad who might possibly be coming down with something.

4. My husband is awesome.

5. Even when the 101-102 fever you've had for several days goes away, you can still continue to have hot flashes.

6. If you are deciding whether to call the doctor because you might be dying and your throat has white spots, you can Google pictures of strep throat and find this guy. You will laugh even though you feel like crap.

7. If it didn't hurt so much and make you want to collapse into the fetal position, strep throat would be a great weight loss plan.

8. Sometimes, you don't care how many hours of video games get played as long as it's occupying someone and you don't have to move.

9. It is possible to throw up even if you have not eaten in 2 days.

10. If you've already taken your temperature, maybe you should not decide to experiment by taking your temperature in your armpit because when it reads 102.5 you will feel even more miserable.

11. It is possible for the screeching of a baby and a preschooler to be even more painful than normal when your entire head is full of sick.

12. Not being able to physically walk to the bottom of your (1/4 mile long, hilly) driveway with the baby to get your 4 year old to his bus will make you feel lame.

13. It is possible to become exhausted just from writing a list post. I need a nap.

Hope your week was about 2 million times healthier than mine.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

5 comments:

Mighty M Family said...

I haven't had strep throat since shortly before I had my tonsils removed. I can't imagine what it would be like to have it as an adult. But I would have said the same thing about ear infections too - except that is what I have come down with this week. And it sucks!! Feel better!!

Enz said...

You poor thing. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Ediehope said...

14. Strep Throat sucks like an Oreck.

Jene said...

Oh no, hope you're feeling better today! I haven't had strep in years, but I don't have very fond memories of it, at all.

Seattledad said...

I hope you are feeling better very soon. I had it twice last year so I have an inkling of what you are going through. Get plenty of rest.