June 27, 2012

Great Pregnancy and Birth Blogs


This is random and out of nowhere, but so is much of my life lately.  One of the moms I know who is newly pregnant knows I'm interested in birth and asked me to send her my favorite websites/blogs.  I put together this list for her and figured I might as well post it here too in case anyone else is interested.  I'm not planning to ever be pregnant again, but I am very interested in pregnancy and birth and feel solidly that at some point I'll become more of an activist and/or a childbirth educator or be involved in birth as part of my life somehow.  It's not quite time right now, but I'll figure it out at some point!


Bellies & Babies
The diary of a childbirth educator, doula, mother and aspiring midwife
She also has an amazing list of really good birth videos here.

Birth Without Fear
"I started the Birth Without Fear Facebook page as an outlet for my passion. I want to help other women work through their fears and heal from traumatic experiences. I want to support women in having empowering births.

As the Birth Without Fear page turned into an incredible community of supportive women, there was a want and need for a BWF Blog. It is another strong voice for women’s rights and choices in birth. I can reach more women and educate them about what birth really should be. I can support women in their choices and journeys to have wonderful birth experiences."

Birthing Beautiful Ideas
"Feminist mother. Philosophical doula. Snarky storyteller."

Mama Birth
"When a baby is born, so is a mother. -Childbirth Education- -Information- -Birth Stories- -Motherhood-"

Unexpectant
"For everyone who has been through the journey to motherhood, you know of the decisions (OB/gyn vs midwife), the questions (what does labor feel like?) and the uncertainties (what kind of a mom will I be?) that each pregnant woman faces. Yet even though these are shared experiences, we often feel alone on the journey, constantly trying to make informed decisions without sometimes knowing what questions to even ask. Often the journey through pregnancy, birth, babyhood and beyond is something far from the expected. But it is a shared rite of passage even on those days when we feel far removed and alone.vSo here is Unexpectant–an experiment in collecting real mother’s stories–the ups, the downs, the lost expectations and alarming surprises. We want to hear your experiences and truths concerning pregnancy, labor, delivery, motherhood and more."

Pregnant Chicken
This one is a humor blog/website.

269 Days
This is a really cute comic strip this woman wrote/writes about her pregnancy.  It will make you laugh, especially as you get further along.

Dooce's Birth Story
This is a really awesome birth story of someone like me who had a regular hospital birth with her first, then changed her ideas in between and ended up having an amazing experience.

Finally, a post I wrote with some of my favorite birth videos.

If you have any other favorites, I'd love to check them out!  Leave a comment!

4 comments:

Nicki Ditch said...

I LOVED Dooce's story!!  Epidural on the rocks...classic!  I support people who wish to have their births at home and I wish more of those people were supportive of those who wish to have their births in the hospital.  Both of my babies were born in a hospital and I am glad they were...but I do think it would be nice to  have the baby at home too....except that I am an EMT and I have been on calls where the baby delivered at home and oh.my.god.what.a.mess.  These poor people had to get a new mattress...carpets cleaned...oye.  I guess if it were planned to be delivered at home, more the "mess" would have been in a tub instead of the gorgeous king-sized bed though!  It's all in the planning!!

Rachael1013 said...

So, I actually had my 2nd baby at home unplanned ( http://www.snotw.com/2010/05/how-i-had-baby-in-my-bathroom-or.html ). We had planned a birth center birth w/a midwife and he just came way too fast. I ended up having him in the bathroom. I didn't ever really see the mess because I was sort of in shock and then our midwife helped me upstairs. I sort of wish someone had taken a photo, my mom said it looked "like a crime scene from Law & Order." Then since we hadn't planned for it, we didn't have a plastic sheet or nearly enough chux and our bed got a lot of blood on it. But it wasn't ruined, I'm pretty sure my husband used a whole bottle of hydrogen peroxide on it. If we'd planned for it and had plastic sheeting on hand and some old blankets, I don't think it would have been bad to clean up at all.

Mrs4444 said...

Rachael, I appreciate this list. I checked out the Pregnant Chicken and fell in LOVE with her sense of humor; she's a gem. Thanks.

Farnandas said...

 I am very interested in pregnancy and birth and feel solidly that at some point I'll become more of an activist and/or a childbirth educator or be involved in birth as part of my life somehow.  It's not quite time right now, but I'll figure it out at some point!

https://www.carlmontpharmacy.com