November 1, 2011

The Human Yo-Yo

Lately, I have been feeling pretty down about myself in one area - my body.

I have written here before about the ups and downs, how much I have struggled, my triumphs, and how hard it is for me to get on track.

I lost 50 pounds when I was pregnant with Sam - and gained it all back.  Plus some.

I lost 30 pounds doing Weight Watchers after I got medication for my thyroid etc, plus another 20 during/right after I was pregnant with Danny.  I have gained 25 of it back. 

I am angry.  I am ashamed that I allowed it to happen.  I feel like a yo-yo, ever time I manage to lose it, I just spring back and put it back on.  It makes me feel disgusted with myself - not only do I hate the way I look, but I hate that I am so weak that I don't have the willpower to become healthier.

I seem to be holding steady right now.  About 23 pounds lighter than I was at my heaviest.

I don't feel good when I look in the mirror.

I don't like the way my clothes fit.

When I sit in the booth at a restaurant, sometimes it's not that comfortable.

I am totally out of shape, and get winded easily.

It sucks.  Every day I think about how I SHOULD be eating, how I SHOULD be getting more exercise.  But I am so un-motivated to do it.  It's such a struggle.  I wish that there was an easy way to do all of this, but there just isn't.

It's not just a matter of simple willpower.  I think about food all the time.  When I am not eating, I am often thinking about what I can get to eat next.  I also don't always stop eating when I should - I eat too much and too quickly and then by the time I get my 'I'm full' signals, I start to feel kind of sick because I ate too much.  It's just SO EASY to eat junk.  It tastes so good, and it's cheap and easily accessible.

I need to stop.  It is not easy, but I have to try... Again.

So, here is what I need to do.  As soon as we get paid from the big job Justin is working on, I am going to re-join Weight Watchers.  I found out there are daytime meetings on Tuesdays, which is usually the day my Mom has Danny while Sam's at school.  If she doesn't, there is actually a Mommy & Me meeting at 10:30.

I pulled out my tracking notebook and calculator and started counting points again today.  I did okay for breakfast and kind of for lunch, then this afternoon I ate a couple of pieces of candy Justin gave me.  And a couple of Krispy Kreme donuts.  Just because I was near it and I wanted to.  Of course I didn't feel very well afterwards, and I didn't need them.  But I am not going to hide it, I'm writing the stupid points down and they'll come out of my weekly points.  If I cheat, it doesn't work.

I am going to get out at least twice a week and walk for an hour - at a park, at the mall, whatever.  It needs to be more than twice a week, but I need to be realistic and start with achievable goals.  The truth is that I HATE exercising, and I have to force myself to do it even though I know it's good for me and makes me feel better.  So, start small.

I WANT to do all of this, so why is it so fucking hard?  I don't get it.  I feel better when I eat right and exercise.  I feel happier and more confident when I am able to lose weight.  I don't understand why I struggle so much to get on track and stay there when it's what I really want.

Once I get back into things, I will probably start doing weekly weight-themed posts again like I was when I first started Weight Watchers.  It's just too hard to do this alone.

2 comments:

Kori said...

I wish I knew something helpful to tell you, but I am struggling with some similar issues right now and am not sure what to do about it. I only gained 15 lbs with Josie and have lost about 25, which is awesome-only I was already overweight when I GOT pregnant, so not so awesome. I will be here to encourage and support you however I can.

Liz Sawyer said...

You are not alone... 11.1 marked a new start for me as well. I wrote with dry eraser on my master bedroom mirror "Yesterday you said tomorrow" - it's a new Nike slogan/ad that I really like. Small steps. Try sit-ups, leg-lifts and jumping jacks while watching a show you like? Write something in your WW log that you are proud of yourself for in the health/fitness/body image area every day. WE CAN DO IT :-)