November 2, 2010

30 Days of Truth Day 7: Happy Birthday Kira!

The prompt for Day 7 of 30 Days of Truth is 'someone who has made your life worth living for.' Which I think is bad grammar. But that's okay because I'm pretty sure that these prompts were originally written by a 13 year old on Facebook or something because some of them are pretty melodramatic. Also you may have noticed I haven't written Day 6 yet. I'm takin' liberties and doing 7 before 6. You'll see why in a minute.

There are so many people I could write about for this post, but it just so happens that it's my sister's birthday today. Kira is turning 28 this year, and she is one of my favorite people, and for sure one that makes my life worth living.

Rachael010

When we were kids, I was jealous of her. Well, not just as kids, even through high school. I thought she was smarter than me, and better at almost everything - sports, art, writing, school. My Mom told me that she was so smart because when I was younger, I would come home from school and teach her everything I'd learned.

We're two years apart, close enough in age that we could share friends, but far enough that we had our own lives. We were three grades apart in school, so after 6th grade we weren't in the same school again until I was a senior and she was a freshman. When I was 18 I went to England to study abroad for three months, and realized on the way there that I had never been apart from her for more than 4 or 5 days in my entire life.

This is one of my favorite pictures of us, from my wedding. She was my maid of honor.

13 Rachael Party_filtered

She was there when Sam was born, and if she has kids and I get to be there, I will certainly not look as composed as she does in this photo from after Sam was born. I will be a sniveling pile of mess.

DSC_0127

She didn't make it for Danny's birth since NO ONE did. But she was here an hour after, and I love this picture of my kids with their Aunt the next morning.

037

I guess it might be true that I'm biased, but Kira is going to be that cool Aunt that everyone wishes they had. Not only is she a great sister, she is just a wonderful person all around. She is caring and thoughtful, and aware of the world around her and how we live in it.

She became a vegetarian in 3rd grade after she made a poster as a book project for "Charlotte's Web." It said "Save the Pigs" and for each letter, she wrote about why you should not eat pigs or should save them. Then my stepdad said "If you think that, why do YOU eat them?" He was totally goading her on, but she said "Well, maybe I won't!" And that was that. She morphed over the years into a vegan and now has started eating meats and cheeses again with more of a focus on local foods. She works for the Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance and Growing Washington. Because of her, I definitely think more about food - where it comes from, how I eat it, and what I feed my kids.

Even though we're both adults now, she's still my little sister. Sometimes I am shocked when I realize that she has a real job, makes a salary, and does so much for so many people.

In terms of family and family-in-law, I have been truly blessed. I love hearing her stories, and can't wait to see what she does next. I love that my kids are going to get to grow up with someone so awesome as an Aunt who will teach them things I wouldn't have thought of.

IMG_6362

So, today, Happy Birthday to my little sister, who most definitely makes my life worth living.

For the other 29 days, click here.

No comments: