January 4, 2011

New Years Resolutions

There's something about making New Years resolutions that I've always thought was a little silly. At the same time, I feel so blessed right after Christmas and spending a lot of time with family. So it seems like a really good time to think about my goals. I've thought of several things that I want to change in my life, and this year just feels like it's going to be the start.

I have high hopes for 2011, and I hope they're not unfounded. There have been a lot of dismal things in the last few years, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to look back on 2011 as the year we got back on track and worked to make our lives better.

So, here are my goals for the next 12 months - and beyond.

Lose 70 pounds and run a 5K

Before I got pregnant with Danny, I lost 30 pounds using Weight Watchers and exercising. I ended my pregnancy down almost 50 lbs from my starting weight. I've been hovering there ever since. This year, I am going to finish this. I need to take off 70 more pounds to be in my healthy range. I CAN do it. I need to stick to the point counting and exercise regularly, so there are concrete goals here:
  • Exercise at least 4 times a week. I have a gym membership. They have a day care. I have a Wii fit, and a Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD. I am getting an elliptical machine from a friend who doesn't use it anymore. This should be PERFECTLY doable.
  • Eat right. This means menu planning and counting points every. single. day.
  • Do couch to 5K. This I probably won't start until spring when the weather starts to clear up a bit. By the end of 2011 I want to be able to run 3 miles.
Learn how to take great photos on purpose

I have captured some great images already with my new Canon Rebel XS, but I want to take a class, read some books, and learn how to get great photos on purpose and not just by chance. I want to learn to use the manual modes, about f-stops and apertures. I'd love to start selling some of my work within the year.

Improve my marriage

As far as things go and the big picture, I think that we have a fairly good relationship. BUT. Having 2 kids has definitely affected things, and there has definitely been neglect of our relationship. I know that it is both of our responsibility to work on it and keep our marriage strong so that we always feel connected to each other as a couple, regardless of kids in the house. There will be concrete goals in this area, but I probably won't talk about them here.

Write more

After trying to complete Nablopomo by posting every day in December, I realize that I miss just writing. There is definitely something to be said for memes, schedules, and themes, but sometimes the writing I love best just... happens. This year I'm going to write more of things that just come to me. I love writing, and sometimes I lose focus on it, but I love it when it's more a part of my life.

Read 50 books

I have an ongoing goal of reading 50 books a year. The last 2 years? FAIL! So, this year I'm going to try and read more. I don't know when I'll fit it in, but maybe I'll just watch less TV and give up some of the blogs I keep up with peripherally even though they're not really my cup of tea. I forget until I'm engrossed how much I love being swept away by a good story, and I want to feel it more often.

Write letters to everyone I love

I recently decided that one thing I want to complete this year is writing letters to the most important people in my life - friends and family both - telling them how much they mean to me and why I love them. I really believe that this is something that is not done enough - letting people know how important they are and why. Anything can happen at any moment, and I want the people who make my life joyful to know about it. I've made a preliminary tally and I'm looking at at least 30 letters, some of which will be long. Yet, I can't wait to start.

Learn to use a budget - seriously, for real.

I am the first to admit that Justin and I are terrible at managing our money. We know how to budget, but sticking to it has not been easy. I think we're both tired of struggling and of not having any savings for ourselves or for the boys. When something comes up like a huge energy bill or his car in it's last days, we don't have anything put away for those times. We're going to sit down this month and figure out a new budget using the envelope system. That means that every time Justin gets paid, we'll take out cash for categories like groceries, gas, dining out, household items etc. When the cash is gone, it's gone. Until the next check. This should allow us to get back on track and hopefully start saving up SOMETHING for those times when we really need it.

I think that's probably enough lofty goals for the year. What are you planning for 2011?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

We share some resolutions. ;)

I'm going back to WW today after being "off" since Thanksgiving. Thankfully, I think I'm only showing a 4 pound difference. To the positive, of course. I'm working on my photography this year too as well as wanting to read more. It's depressing to me that I've read so little in the past few years.