April 15, 2010

A Few Thoughts on Labor at 36 Weeks

So, I've failed miserably in getting my hypnobirthing posts done in any timely fashion. I have 3 more posts planned, and I WILL have them up in the next two weeks. I pretty much have posts planned out for the next month and a half, and I have something fun in store for the month of May.

In the time before this pregnancy, but even MORE since I've been pregnant, and in the last four months in particular, I have become a birth and pregnancy sponge! I have been reading so many positive birth stories, have started reading several birth and pregnancy themed blogs, mostly centered around natural birth, and have been watching different birth videos.

This goes with the mind body connection idea, which I'm planning to write about in my next HypnoBirthing post. Exposing myself to so many wonderful and positive birth stories, advice about how to have a wonderful natural birth, and tips and methods for doing that is making me really look forward to this birth.

I have been reading a lot about pushing, about being in labor, stories of how women push when allowed to do whatever they want to during labor and let things happen naturally. And?

I am so excited.

In these last couple of weeks it has been pretty easy to lose sight of how much I've looked forward to this baby's birth day.

The idea of being able to move freely, letting my body do the work and letting the baby come into the world in his own time... it's just so empowering.

I really needed this right now. I have been struggling with everything, mostly the control I've lost because of being SO pregnant right now. So it was the perfect time for me to open my reader to Science & Sensibility and read the stories included in her 5th Healthy Birth Blog Carnival.

I am expecting this to be an amazing experience. Yes, I know it's unpredictable. But I feel so positive about it. Excited, and TOTALLY impatient... 24 days seems like forever right now!

I also thought this post at Bellies & Babies was very interesting, and really cool. It's a short video about Self-Attachment, which I had never heard of. It's worth watching just for the first very short video of a baby crawling to the breast shortly after birth.

I find it so interesting because I've never heard of this before, but it makes total sense. After all, in nature isn't that what baby mammals do? Root and find the food source? I think so! So it makes sense that a human baby would do that. It just makes me wonder how different things would be if we let everything having to do with birth happen more naturally!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Hi,
Just found your blog, and this it is great that you're finding energy and hope in the natural birthing process - best of wishes for you! I understand your pregnant ramblings - I'm due next week and a feeling more than "done..." much more so than I was with pregnancy #1. Like you, I never felt over it with my first, but this time...

Melissa aka Equidae said...

natural births are great and yes very empowering