March 26, 2007

Sam and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Night

In case you aren't aware, I'm not THAT cynical - my title for this blog is actually from a book title (Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day). However, we DID have an interesting night which I would not classify as 'good'. Why? I don't know, but this was Sam's schedule for the last 24 hours:

Sunday 9:40 pm: Sam goes to bed at his normal time. Seemingly, all is well!

11:00 pm: Sam wakes up. We give him a bottle. He's been waking up at night sometimes, and he went back to sleep after drinking the bottle, like normal, although it was early for him to wake up.

12:30 am: I attempt to go to bed, and am just reaching full, satisfying, restful sleep state when...

1:30 am: Sam is up again, screaming and crying! I am roused and give him a bottle while Justin continues to work. Sam is sort of sleepy/drifting. Justin tries rocking him.

2:00 am: We decide to put Sam back into bed and try to let him cry to sleep, which usually would work.

2:30 am: Sam is still crying and screaming bloody murder, and it is obvious that he can keep it up. We get him out of his crib. He is awake. He is fine. We take him downstairs.

2:30 am - 5:20 am: Yes, that's right! We were AWAKE with Sam for three hours in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! What the heck?? He just crawled around the basement and played and seemed to be having a grand time. We feed him some oatmeal and another bottle.

5:20 am: We just can't take it anymore. We take Sam upstairs and put him back in his crib. He CRIES for 12 minutes, then finally goes to sleep. When I tell Justin he was only crying for 12 minutes, he doesn't really believe me. At one point, my tiredness and motherliness almost makes me cry listening to him wailing.

8:30 am: Wow, three WHOLE hours of sleep. Sam is up again. I give him a bottle. He sleeps in our bed next to me after he finishes.

9:15 am: Sam is up for the day at his normal time! Despite the fact that he slept for only half of his normal time, if that, he is up and ready to play! I climb out of bed like a zombie and feed him some breakfast and then we go to the basement and I watch a couple of TV shows while he plays, then put on Dora the Explorer, which he seems to like. When I got out of bed Justin wanted to sleep until 10, but I figure there is no point in both of us being up and dead tired, so I let him sleep.

12:30 pm: I finally give in and go wake up Justin because I want a nap. He takes Sam. I attempt to fall asleep.

1:45 pm: Sam finally goes down for a nap. At his normal nap time. No sign of him being more tired than usual. He sleeps for 1.5 hours. Just like normal!

3:15 pm: I am awakened by Justin and Sam. Unfortunately I had some kind of issue falling asleep and only slept for a bit over an hour. Grr...

4:10 pm: I decide if I take Sam in the car he will fall asleep. I think he needs sleep, and I want to get out of the house. I decide to just take a drive and hang out in the car driving and listening to the radio.

4:15 pm: Sam falls asleep in the car. He sleeps for an hour until we get to the store and spend an hour there. We drive home and continue our normal day.

9:30 pm: We start "Quiet Time" when we turn off the lights and start calming down for bed. Sam gets his oatmeal and gradually drinks a bottle. I decide to let Sam stay up for a while because I would rather he be really ready to go to bed so he sleeps tonight (fingers crossed).

10:15 pm: We put Sam down for bed. It's been an hour and fifteen minutes, and so far, so good. He only cried for about 2 minutes when he went down. I am going to bed now. Sweet, sweet bed....

No comments: