March 15, 2012

TV Time! Zombies, Mobsters & Vampires

SPOILERS AHOY! If you have not watched the last few episodes of The Walking Dead, Desperate Housewives and The Vampire Diaries, avert your eyes!

Some shows are on hiatus, and others are just about to go.  Sometimes I include TV stuff in my Friday Fragments, but after the last 2 days of TV watching, I have too much to say about a few of them! 

The Walking Dead

OMG!  First of all, I was surprised by Dale's death, but also thought it was awesome.  Why?  I recently totally devoured all 94 issues of The Walking Dead comic books.  If you haven't read the books, they're significantly different than the show.  In a way, this is nice because I don't feel like by readin the comics I have spoiled the show for myself.  There are also things that I wish they would do differently on the show, and a couple of these things started to take shape in the last two episodes.

Oh my Lord, I cannot tell you how glad I am that Shane is finally gone.  Shane was not a long-lasting character in the comics.  I was okay with Shane on the show for a while, but as he's gotten increasingly more volatile, particularly the last couple of episodes... I've just been sick of him.  I also love that they used Shane to introduce/highlight the 'we don't have to get bitten to turn' storyline.  I really liked the way they did that scene - the flashes of zombie interspersed with Rick's grief and pain about what he'd done. 

I also really like that they had Carl show up and shoot zombie Shane.  One of the differences from the comics that I'm not crazy about is the difference in Carl's character.  I feel like show Carl comes off as a little whiny/wimpy and sometimes creepy.  I don't feel that way about book Carl.  He became harder earlier on, and I am hoping that this is the start of him becoming more like he is in the books.  Also, they way they shot the scene with Rick thinking Carl was pointing the gun at him?  Excellence.

The last development that I was excited about was the herd of zombies coming out of the woods.  We haven't learned too much about the zombies and how they work, but this is an element from the comics that I am super glad they're introducing because it's going to bring more drama and craziness.  In the comics, no one is really safe (well, except MAYBE Rick because it's his story), and I like being reminded of that on the show as well.

I love this show so much.  The zombies, the relationships... I just love that a show about zombies makes me cry on a regular basis (Hershel giving Glenn the watch, anyone?!).  It's just so good.

The question now is who will not live through next week's season finale?!

Desperate Housewives

So, I chose to read a spoiler last week so I knew before the end of this week's episode that it was going to be Mike who died.  Despite that, I found myself crying at the end of the episode.  I did not expect to feel so sad about it, but it was the life flashing before his eyes part that did me in.  I may be a weirdo here, but I'm glad that they're doing big things with the end of this show.  I hate when a show goes out with a whimper, and so often the last episodes of a series kind of suck.  Two of my very favorite shows ever, The X-Files and Quantum Leap,  had series ending episodes that I really thought sucked, frankly.  Six Feet Under did a great job with theirs. 

I think the end of a series is a chance to do BIG dramatic things that you might not consider if you knew a few more years of stories were coming.    I am very excited to see how all of this ends.  One thing that I REALLY hope they'll do is wrap up Lynette's story with something positive for her.  I feel like she just gets constantly screwed, and it bugs me.
The Vampire Diaries

I started watching The Vampire Diaries because I like all things vampire, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I do.  I have to say though, I think Elena is crazy for choosing Stefan over Damon.  Holy hotness.  He's also got that thing going on that always does me in.  You know, i-seem-like-an-asshole-but-am-actually-awesome-and-in-love-with-you.  I was really surprised by the end of the last episode when the doctor lady stabbed Alaric.  I am sort of tired of Alaric dying and then coming back.  It's kind of getting old.

What shows have you been enjoying lately?

No comments: