August 11, 2011

Friday Fragments

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

My friend posted this on Facebook this week and it made me chuckle:

$1,000 worth of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have $49.00 today! If you purchased $1,000 worth of shares in AIG, you would have $33.00. If you purchased $1,000 worth of shares in Lehman Brothers, you would have $0.00 today. But, if you purchased $1,000 worth of beer, drank all the beer, turned in the aluminum cans for recycling, you would have $214.00. Therefore the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle. It is called the 401-Keg Plan.

*****

Does anyone else out there watch In Plain Sight on USA? The season finale was really good, but that show has THE WORST cliffhangers! I can't wait for next season already, and it's been less than a week. In other TV news, SyFy is ending Eureka after next season, which sucks. Falling Skies just got better at the end - the reveal of what's inside the Skitters? AWESOME. It was one of those shows that kind of ebbed and flowed for me, but I'm really glad it was picked up for a second season. Justin and I have also been enjoying watching Hell's Kitchen together - for some reason every time Ramsay screams "It's RAW" we both crack up.

*****

Last weekend, my awesome cousin Emaleigh was in town, and we got to do some fun stuff. I haven't processed all my photos yet, but here are a few of my favorites:

Silhouette Mural in Phinney

IMG_3602

Perre's Ventaglio III @ Olympic Sculpture Park in Seattle

IMG_3645

I am not a huge art person, and not very versed in the world of sculpture. I thought this one was interesting, then I read the description of what American artist Beverly Pepper intended it to be:

One of the first sculptors of her generation to be captivated by the possibilities of industrial materials and geometric forms, Beverly Pepper achieved a cool objectivity in Perre's Ventaglio III, which reveals no trace of the artist's hand or process, but possesses the sleek appearance of a manufactured object. Light heightens the optical effect of the sculpture, whose surface reflects the surrounding natural environment, a striking contrast with the opaque blue enamel paint on the interior of each cubic form.

After reading it and looking at the sculpture, I totally GOT it and kind of loved it. Emmy wrote a great post about the sculpture park on her blog, (sometimes) blog at Emaleigh Says.

Lily in Ellensburg

IMG_3762

Sunburst at The Gorge

IMG_3720

Seattle Public Library

IMG_3783

I'd never been to the amazing central branch before, and we went to check it out. It's full of amazing architecture and art, and I'm glad I got to explore it a bit! Emmy wrote another great post about that building here.

*****

Justin and I went and saw "The Help" on Wednesday. I read the book earlier this year after about 20 people recommended it to me, and loved it. The movie was amazing. It was incredibly well done, the casting was great, and it was just as touching and moving as the book. Justin loved it too, although he found it so unsettling that he was a little shaken. It's hard to imagine the blatant racism that occurred in this country so recently. I know it still exists, but we have certainly come a long, long way.

*****

Well, I'm pretty tired tonight, so I think that's it for this week! Can't wait to read more Friday Fragments tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great weekend!


5 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Interesting library ceiling.

Kay Duncan said...

wow, those pictures are great, i love the mural one!!!

that 401K is hilarious!!  i would love to pass that along if i could...

Doreenb8 said...

I never really "got" modern art or sculpture but I liked this one especially after you shared the description.  I am really enjoying your photography!

Mrs4444 said...

Yeah, there is a lot behind artists' works. Too often, we don't take the time to learn. 

What the heck was that show, back in the day, when everyone would drink when they heard "Bob"? Or was it a different name. We could all drink every time Ramsey swears, but that could get ugly...

Loved the 401-Keg reference!

Hope you have a great weekend...Thanks for linking up~

Kelley @ Magnetoboldtoo said...

some one said I don’t know anything about art but I know what I like, THAT.

I want the silver thing in my yard.